TESTS

jueves, 20 de abril de 2017

5- The History of English


glitter maker


ENGLISH has evolved from a language spoken by a few people into the most widely spoken language in the world.

 This video will definitely help you understand some of the issues we have been discussing so far in class. You will see it is divided into different chapters which show different stages in the historical development of the language. 





After watching (perhaps twice or three times), complete the activities which follow.  The answers will be socialized in class... 

Make sure you include these activities  in your PORTFOLIO.

Don´t worry that much if you do not understand every sigle word! Pay attention to pictures and images.... they will help you understand.


ACTIVITY 1:

Answer these questions
  1. Who led the Norman invasion into England? At that time, who spoke French?  Who spoke Latin? Who spoke English?
  2. How many words did the English absorb from the Normans?
  3. How many words and phrases are said to have been incorporated or "invented" by Shakespeare?
  4. When was The Authorized or  King James´ translation of the Bible printed? Why was this translation so important?
  5. Why did so many words had to be invented during the 17th century?
  6. Where does the word BARBICUE come from? How about BOOMERANG and YOGA?
  7. How many entries did the First Dictionary of the English Language contain? 
  8. When did the first Oxford English Dictionary appear?
  9. Which aspects of the American culture have contributed largely to the spread of English throughout the wrorld?
  10. When was the first e-mail sent? Where from?  
  11. When did the Internet start?
  12. What do the abbreviations IMHO, BTW, LOL and FAQ mean?
  13. Can native speakers claim the ownership of Global English?
  14. Approximately, what percentage of the world population is able to (at least) ask for directions in English?
ACTIVITY 2:

The video is divided into 10 chapters. IN YOUR PORTFOLIO, write down the title given to each of those chapters and include some key information related to it. You may also want to stick/add related pictures/images to liven up your portfolio entrance.

ACTIVITY 3:

LANGUAGE IN USE:

A_ The following are some of the idiomatic expressions which were used in King James´s translation of the Bible. Look up their meanings.

  1. "A bird in the hand is worth (than) two in the bush".
  2. " A wolf in sheep´s clothing".
  3. "A leopard can´t change its spots".

B_ Follow-up activity


As you may imagine, English is full of popular sayings and idiomatic expressions related to the animal world. You will find some of them below. Look them up in a dictionary and think of the correct Spanish counterpart. Include this activity in your PORTFOLIO as well!

  • Let the cat out of the bag.
  • To take the bull by the horns.
  • "It´s raining cats and dogs".
  • "Birds of a feather flock together".
  • To Smell rat.
  • "Don´t look a gift horse in the mouth".
  • "Don´t be a chicken Little".
  • "When the cat´s away, the mice will play".
  • To work like a dog.
  • To bark up the wrong tree.
  • "Don´t  bite the hand that feeds you".
  • "To take someone under your wing".
  • To be as happy as a pig in mud.
  • "I could eat a horse!".
  • "He´s a wolf in sheep´s clothing".
  • "There´s a frog in my throat".

Resultado de imagen para a frog in my throat

These activities will be shared and checked in class. Make sure you start woring on them!

grace :-)

30 comentarios:

  1. that was so interesting! it was quite difficult to follow the first time, but it was also so funny! I could also understand thigs that we tend to use without know what it means (or at least I tend to use them) hahaha...

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. it was very funny and teaches a lot..!!!! he spoke very fast so i had to see it more than once.. i love the drawings :)

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I have to say that it was not so easy to understand for the first time. i can't believe my ears! that guy speaks almost twice as fast as i usually do. among native speakers, there are ones that speak slower and others that speak faster and maybe sometimes they don't understand every single word they say to each other, do they?

    ResponderEliminar
  5. In my opinion, this is an interesting and educative video. You can learn a lot in a few minutes and also enjoy the drawings.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. It was a very interesting activity.I had to listen to the video several times but I did not mind because it was really funny.Who can speak English too fast?? not me!!!!!hahahaahah.It was a nice way of learnig the story of English.

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Actually, I think it's a funny way to tell the history of English languaje in just a very few minutes. What's more, drawings are awesome. I really like them!

    ResponderEliminar
  8. Very interesting and funny video! I need to watch it several times because the speaker speaks very very fast!

    ResponderEliminar
  9. This video was fast there were many and important details

    ResponderEliminar
  10. It is very funny but too fast!!!!! the pictures are intresting,I will try to do the exercises!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Excellent video!!! Fast but challenging and easy to follow with cartoons. Very Interesting. Thank you.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. Wow.... The narrator was really in a hurry!!!the pictures were interesting and funny!!!!I love the video, is an spectacular way to learn history!!!! thanks Grace!!

    ResponderEliminar
  13. Who said history is boring? Great video to learn a lot of information in a short time and in a funny way.

    ResponderEliminar
  14. It's a very interesting form to learn about the history of the language! Thanks Grace

    ResponderEliminar
  15. Very interesting video! I had to watch it some times although the pictures help you a lot. Thanks Grace!

    ResponderEliminar
  16. Great video. The speaker goes rather fast but he summarizes a lot of information in just eleven minutes.

    ResponderEliminar
  17. It is very interesint video.I have watched it several time because the speaker goes so fast for me,but I'm learning
    about the history and new words. thank you

    ResponderEliminar
  18. From my point of view the video was very interesting and useful too. It wasn't nothing easy understand it but I made a big effort and I got it, I think so. I learnt where dialects came from which I didn't know anything about it. I am not good for using these dialect. By the way I know some of them. The part of the video where is talked about abbreviations was very useful gor me because I have got an English group on whatsapp where they use English abbreviations. It makes me crazy sometimes because I can't understand the conversation very well. Anyway they are a pain in the neck somathing. Well I consider this video explain very well the history of English.

    ResponderEliminar
  19. At first, for me the video was quite difficult to understand. I think it is related to the fact that i had never heard someone talking in such fluent way as the man in the video, for this reason, i had to listen to it several times.I must admit i had to actívate the subtitles....so take it into account. Anyway, i had heard about abbreviations before and i usually use them, so it didnt surprise me. Until i saw this video i didnt know that the name of four days of the week came from anglo-saxons gods, and neither i knew about the domesday book and that Shakespeare had introduced so many words to English, i had never Heard the word Hob Nob.
    In my opinión the video was difficult to understand. I also have to tell that funny comments and graphics are really helpful. I decided to watch it over and over. Great!

    ResponderEliminar
  20. Hilarious. The humor, the examples, the animation. Very instructive. And I always appreciate it when I get to learn something new in a fun way. That makes it all that more interesting.Thanks!

    ResponderEliminar
  21. It was really difficult for me to understand that's why I needed it to watch it more than once. Dispite of that I had no idea of all the information that the video shows. Amazing and accurate video!

    ResponderEliminar
  22. pictures were interesting and funny!!!it is a great way to learn history!!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  23. It is a interesting video. The speaker goes fast but is very useful to understand the history of English

    ResponderEliminar
  24. Such a fun way to fixed the themes that we have worked the previous classes, the fluently of the speaker made me watch it several times. In the end I learnt about some abbreviations and found out that some of the idiomatics expression are the same that we use in Spanish!

    ResponderEliminar
  25. This video was really interesting, although I've to watch it like four times... Good way to learn English and the pictures were very helpful.!!!!

    ResponderEliminar
  26. It's great to hear you're enjoying and learning from this video and our work on the class blog.
    Grace

    ResponderEliminar
  27. The video are simple and funny, i really liked it, Thanks for shared it with us miss Grace

    ResponderEliminar
  28. The video is really interesting , it is funny and full of information. I've found a new way to learn history !!

    ResponderEliminar
  29. It's a great video to learn history, and also works to practice and improve our listening.

    ResponderEliminar